A general record of my ongoing battle with all forms of nonsense.
Monday, 15 June 2009
I wrote in my last post how I wrote a program to look for the word colic on chiropractor web sites. Well the great thing about a computer program is that once it's written, it can easily be run again.
Last night, I asked it to re-download all of the same web pages as before (in total, 6149 pages). When I first ran the program on the 23rd May, it found 664 pages containing the word colic. When I ran it last night (14th June) it only found 419.
The word colic appears to have been removed from 245 separate web pages. These 245 web pages were on the web sites of 35 different BCA members.
I should note that this isn't intelligent data, it's simply a word count. Chiropractors who change their web site to say "we don't treat colic" won't effect the data. Chiropractors who simply moved the pages to somewhere else will look as if they've removed the word.
Out of the 84 chiropractors I reported to Trading Standards with individual letters, 14 (17%) have now removed the word from all the web pages I found.
Out of the 55 chiropractors I reported to the GCC with individual letters, 13 (24%) have removed the word from all the web pages I found.
Even Chiropractic Life has removed their page about treating swine flu.
It is only 3 weeks after I sent the first round of complaints to Trading Standards. I'll give it a bit longer so we can see which Trading Standards offices did not respond, then target those offices with another campaign.
Perhaps with more than just 3 people writing letters this time.
Posted by Simon at 09:07